For other uses of Angel, see Angel (disambiguation)
Angel (also known as Archangel, born Warren Worthington III) is a mutant who has the ability to fly with large white-later-metallic wings.
Warren Worthington III was seen trying to cut his wings off in order to hide his mutation. His father found out he was a mutant by entering the bathroom.
As a young man in his early twenties, his rich industrialist father was motivated by his son's mutation to create a "cure" for mutants. Warren was going to be the first test subject of this "cure" when he suddenly had second thoughts, broke out of his restraints, and bailed out of a nearby window, despite his father's protests.
When Alcatraz Island was attacked by the Brotherhood of Mutants, Warren's father was captured by Psylocke, Arclight and Quill. They threw him off the roof, but Warren arrived in time to save him. He was later seen flying over the Golden Gate Bridge as it was getting fixed; he then flew over a park and waved to a little boy who was watching him fly.
Prior to X-Men: Days of Future Past
According to 25 Moments, in 2011, mutants banded together to protest the “mutant cure” arms race led by Trask Industries, Yashida Corporation, and other multinational pharmaceutical companies. The Occupy Wall Street movement marched from the X-Mansion to Zuccotti Park. Sentinels attacked the peaceful mutant demonstration. Angel was one of the mutants involved in the march and was killed during the chaos.
To Be Added...
Powers and Abilities
- Wing Manifestation - Angel possesses two large, white, feathered wings on his back that allow him to fly at various speeds, while he can also perform aerial maneuvers. These wings are very large and are extremely flexible. Angel can fold them on his back so that there is only a slight bump showing from his clothing. In close combat, he can use his wings to enhance his attacks and use them to hit opponents. When his father attempted to use the cure on him, he used his wings to break his restraints and knock down anyone near him when the wings extended.
- Wing Blades - After receiving a power upgrade from Apocalypse, his wings became metallic in nature, allowing him to shoot blades from them. His flight capabilities are not affected by his wings being metallic and he can still fly at various speeds and in any direction. He is also still able to perform aerial maneuvers, to the point where he can hover in mid air.
- Aerial Adaptation: Angel's entire anatomy is naturally adapted to flying. Elements of his anatomy are comparable to those of birds, especially birds of prey. His eyes can withstand high-speed winds which would damage the average human eye. He can breathe at high velocities or altitudes, and he can cope with the reduced temperatures at high altitudes for prolonged periods of time. His body is also more resilient, as he is not at all fazed by kinetic impact or friction, as well as the fact that he could ram through a glass window without being damaged at all.
- Enhanced Durability - Angel, nor his wings, wear at all damaged from crashing through a window and none of the broken glass hurt him.
- Regenerative Healing Factor - Angel is able to heal himself as shown that he was able to repeatedly grow back his severed wings. Unlike most mutants with a healing factor, Angel can transfer his blood to provide a limited healing factor to any person of a compatible blood type. He is also immune to all disease and illnesses.
- Superhuman Sight - Like birds, Warren's eyesight is superhumanly acute, giving him enhanced binocular vision.
- Enhanced Strength - He is shown to have the strength to effortlessly hold an adult human with only his hands while in the air. His large wings do not weigh him down at all seemingly due to his strength. In close combat, he can use his wings to enhance his strength and even use them to hit opponents. When he was strapped into medical restraints, Angel was capable of breaking out despite it being designed to restraint mutants. His wings also have enhanced strength, allowing them to push off the restraint harness keeping them hidden on his back and they knocked down everyone near him when they extended.
Friends and Family
- In a deleted scene, Angel comes back to Alcatraz after saving his father and joins the other X-Men in the fight by taking and dropping members of the Brotherhood from the sky. However, he is knocked out after Magneto throws a car at him.
- Although Angel appears in the promotional posters wearing the X-Men uniform, he never dons one during the movie.
- Angel was supposed to appear in X2: X-Men United as a prisoner of William Stryker. In the early script of the movie, he was transformed into Archangel during an experiment of the Weapon X program.
- Angel has been portrayed by two different actors with the first name Ben.
- He is featured heavily in all the promotional material for X-Men: The Last Stand, as part of the whole "the original X-Men team in the comics finally together in film".
- Angel's wings were initially too heavy for Ben Foster, and were remade from foam.