- "Four or five moments! That's all it takes to be a hero. People think you wake up a hero... brush your teeth a hero... ejaculate into a soap dispenser a hero. But, no, being a hero takes only a few moments! A few moments... doing the ugly stuff no one else will do."
Deadpool (born Wade Winston Wilson) is a Canadian freelance mercenary who became a superhuman with an accelerated healing factor from the Mutant Workshop program.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Original Timeline
- 1.2 Revised Timeline
- 1.2.1 Early Life
- 1.2.2 Life in New York
- 1.2.3 Meeting Vanessa Carlyle
- 1.2.4 Seeking a Cure
- 1.2.5 Becoming a Mutant
- 1.2.6 Hunting Ajax
- 1.2.7 Reunion with Vanessa Carlyle
- 1.2.8 Contact with Cable
- 1.2.9 Deadpool: No Good Deed
- 1.2.10 Deadpool 2
- 1.2.11 Kidnapping Fred Savage
- 1.2.12 The Westchester Incident
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Behind the Scenes
- 8 External links
- 9 References
- "I love this weapon more than any other thing in the world. Wanna know why?"
"It's memorable. Sure it's bulky, hard to get on planes. You whip out two swords at your ex-girlfriend's wedding; they will never, ever forget it."
"That's funny, Wade. I think you confuse me with someone who gives a shit."
"Right, it's probably not as intimidating as having a gun, or bone claws, or... the nails of a bag lady."
- ―Deadpool and Sabretooth
Wade Wilson was a soldier and mercenary with enhanced reflexes and agility due to him being a mutant, putting him far beyond the average human.
During the Vietnam War in mid-late 1973, a young Wade was a member of a black ops group called Team X under the command of William Stryker. The team also included James "Logan" Howlett, Victor Creed, Christopher Bradley, Agent Zero, John Wraith, and Fred Dukes. He did as his leader ordered when it came to killing people, with Stryker even going so far as claiming that Wade would be the perfect soldier if it weren't for his inability to stop talking.
Six years later, after Team X broke up, Wade was captured and taken to Stryker's base at Three Mile Island, where he was experimented on for the Weapon XI project. He was the first Team X member to be killed by Victor, and his body was used as a catalyst for the Weapon XI project. With Victor's help, Stryker gathered and collected the DNA from mutants whose powers could be used collectively within one body without destroying it, with Wade being the host body. By then, Wade was gone, and was now known as Weapon XI, "The Mutant Killer" - Deadpool (as Stryker explained - a "dead" mutant who had other powers "pooled" up into him). Stryker also seals Wade's mouth and gives him an adamantium skeleton.
Wade, now called Deadpool, was sent to fight Wolverine after Victor was defeated. Dr. Carol Frost said the project was not finished, but Stryker said to do it anyway. After freeing the captured mutants, Wolverine is stopped by the now active Weapon XI - Deadpool.
Using Chris Bradley's power, Stryker was able to control him to kill Wolverine. They fight as the other Mutants flee. With the other powers, he had from several other mutants (including Cyclops' optic beams, Wolverine's healing power, John Wraith's teleportation, Chris Bradley's technopathy, and Wade's prized blades used as two retractable arm blades) he was ready to fight and kill Wolverine.
Logan faces Weapon XI alone and eventually climbs one of the nuclear reactors, Weapon XI follows in an instant using Wraith's teleportation ability. Logan puts forth his best effort but is pinned down. Just as Weapon XI is about to decapitate him (at the command of Stryker), Victor later joined to help Logan as he shoves Deadpool away, and both of them fall into the reactor. Victor catches Logan, explaining the only reason he saved him was so he could kill him himself.
Logan and Victor eventually end up back to back to fight Wade from both sides. They finally catch him and stab him, but he teleports across the reactor. Victor attacks Deadpool as he fires on Logan with his optic blasts. Logan falls over the edge of the reactor as Victor is caught jumping at Weapon XI and shot back. Logan climbs back onto the reactor, and just as Weapon XI is blasting Victor into the ground, Logan runs, jumps, and slashes Weapon XI through the neck. Weapon XI holds his neck as Logan kicks him into the nuclear reactor, his head falling off as he tumbles below, with the lasers still firing.
Later, Wilson revealed to be still alive, began to put himself back together.
His name appeared on Stryker's Computer.
As Weapon XI prepares to attack Wolverine as he rescues the kids from Three Mile Island, he is suddenly shot through the head by the time-traveling Deadpool of the revised timeline. Deadpool tells Wolverine that he is "cleaning up the timeline" and shoots his alternate self several more times until he dies.
Due to Wolverine traveling back in time to January 1973, and preventing Bolivar Trask from being assassinated by Mystique, and changing the significant events after that point, Team X was never formed. Thus, he along with other members of Team X were never hunted and killed by Victor Creed.
- "Look, I get it. All right, you're scared. Alone. You got no family. I didn't have a family, either. You live in this dump. Guess what? I used to live in a shithole just like it."
- ―Deadpool to Firefist
Wade Wilson was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1975. While he would later joke about the hardships of his childhood, he did state seriously that "family" was an "f-word" for him; his father had left a bad impression before "bailing" on him when he was young.
At some point in time, Wade Wilson was a member of the Canadian Special Forces, moves to New York City, and befriended a bartender named Weasel. He would later retire and become a mercenary-for-hire, helping to protect teenage girls from would-be stalkers. Also, he visited Jacksonville and met a man named Bob at T.G.I. Friday's and the two became acquainted with each other. Deadpool also visited Bob and his family regularly for Bob's wife, Gale's famous tuna casserole.
Life in New York
- "Just promise me you'll do right by me, so I can do right by someone else. And don't make the suit green... or animated!"
- ―Wade to The Recruiter
One day, Wade takes a job getting a pizza delivery boy to stop stalking a girl by threatening him. Once his job is done, the girl thanks him and calls him her hero, to which Wade quickly points out that that is something he is not.
Meeting Vanessa Carlyle
Wade goes to the bar where his friend Weasel works. Wade orders a drink called a Blowjob and has the bartender bring it to a big thug and to say it came from another man, leading to a bar fight where people bet on others to die, which is called the "Dead Pool." After the bar fight was settled, Wade meets a prostitute named Vanessa Carlysle. They bond over their weird, messed up lives before starting a sexual relationship, which eventually evolves into a romantic one.
Seeking a Cure
A year later, Wade proposes to Vanessa one night, and she happily says yes. Wade is genuinely happy that Vanessa accepted his proposal, but happiness is short-lived when Wade unexpectedly passes out. The next day, Wade and Vanessa go to the hospital, and he is diagnosed with terminal cancer in his liver, lungs, prostate, and brain. Though she remains by his side, Wade fears more for what will happen to Vanessa than to him.
Learning he had been diagnosed with cancer, Wade, while trying to drink his problems away at Weasel's bar, Weasel tells Wade that a man sitting in the corner is looking for him. Wade approaches the man, who introduces himself as The Recruiter. He tells Wade that he works for a facility that will not only cure him of his cancer but also give him incredible powers. The Recruiter offered Wade the chance to join the program that would presumably cure his disease, but Wade is hesitant and declines, but he takes the card that The Recruiter gives him and leaves.
Becoming a Mutant
- “The worst part about cancer isn't what it does to you, but what it does to the people you love.”
- ―Wade leaving Vanessa
Desperate to live and despite initially declining, Wade later reconsiders, made a choice to be cured for Vanessa, and leaves her alone in the middle of the night to undergo the procedure. He goes to the facility where he meets Ajax for the first time, along with his cohort Angel Dust. Ajax injects Wade with a special serum that activates any dormant mutant genes in him, the mutations being meant to turn him into a superhuman to heal him from his cancer, but says that for it to work and because adrenaline is the serums catalyst, they have to subject him to extreme stress for the mutation to occur. However, if there were no mutant genes in him to activate, the torture would eventually kill him. Wade undergoes various torture techniques carried out by Angel Dust to trigger a mutation.
After days of torture and no success, Wade eventually learns that Ajax's real name was Francis, and makes fun of the man. After Wade insulted Ajax about his real name, Ajax straps Wade down and place him inside an airtight chamber where the oxygen is cut off. Ajax then reveals that the program was intended to turn Wade into a super-powered individual, but as a super slave, where he would be auctioned off somewhere to become an assassin.
During his time in the chamber, the drop in oxygen triggers a regenerative healing factor that cures his cancer. Unfortunately, Wade's cancer cells were further enhanced, severely disfiguring his entire body in the process as his skin and face started to blotch up. The next day, Ajax opens the chamber and tells Wade his cancer is gone. Upon being released, Wade would curse at Ajax for his hideous form and headbutts Angel Dust, stealing a match from that she keeps in her mouth in the process. Upon being sealed in the chamber once again, Wade took the match out and struck it, throwing it near the oxygen vent, thus generating a massive explosion that destroyed his confinement and the laboratory.
Ajax goes down to see what happened, and Wade starts to fight with his increased strength and attempts to kill him. Wade stops, however when he learns from his enemy that there was a cure for his disfigured form, as Ajax claimed he's the only one that can cure him. Ajax gets the upper hand and overpowers Wade, impaling him with a bar, which he leaves bent. Ajax then asks Wade what's his name to no response, and leaves Wade for dead. As Wade sat impaled, Cunningham called out to him, and they exchanged eye contact in each last time, as the facility collapsed from the explosion Wade had started and crumbled around him, and killing Cunningham and anyone else that didn't escape.
Dismantling an Organization
Wade wakes up alive but horrified by his complexion. He walks through the streets with a hood over his head, but the people that see him are creeped out and disgusted by his appearance. This makes him worry about what Vanessa will think if she sees him, so he stays away from her completely. Wade visits Weasel, who is also disgusted by his appearance and makes a few quips at his expense. Weasel encourages Wade to make a suit and mask to disguise himself as he goes back to hunt for Ajax so that he can fix his face. Inspired by Weasel, Wade became a vigilante, adopting the identity of "Deadpool" from the bar's fighting tournament. Following this, Wade would dedicate himself to hunting down Ajax and begins his crusade to find Ajax by plowing through his goons and dismantling his organization, until he can find him.
During this time, Wade moved into the home of a blind woman named Al while summing up the courage to reveal himself to Vanessa. As Deadpool, Wade would also catch the attention of Colossus, who became interested in getting the mercenary to join the X-Men.
Following a string of leads from various syndicates, Wade eventually finds The Recruiter, who says what he knows about Ajax's whereabouts before Deadpool kills him.
Skirmish on the Highway
After killing many of Francis's associates, Wade discovered his enemy's whereabouts and hitched a taxicab ride to the designated location of the location. While waiting in the cab, Wade sits bored in the backseat. He slides up front to chat with the taxi driver, Dopinder. Deadpool asks Dopinder about a picture of a girl he has in his car, Dopinder said she was the girl he adored, who was taken away by his cousin, Bandhu. Deadpool realizes he forgot his bag of weapons and only has 12 rounds in his guns. Dopinder then takes Deadpool to the middle of a bridge, and Deadpool crisp high-fives the man for cab fare, due to the mercenary leaving his wallet at home, saying that it ruins the lining of his suit.
Deadpool waits on top of a bridge for his targets. He then spots a convoy of vans arriving, and, having found his target, jumps into one of the men before beating up of all the thugs in the van, causing an accident that kills other villains. Deadpool's main target is Ajax, the man that gave him his powers and also horribly disfigured him. The vans all come crashing to the end of the bridge, where one thug's head is sliced off with a chain, and another one gets gorily splattered against a sign on the highway.
Having forgotten his ammo bag, and only having 12 bullets in his guns, Wade counts off how many rounds with each thug he kills, accidentally missing a few shots, but he manages to kill three men with one bullet. One last thug comes at Deadpool with two knives, but Deadpool quickly skewers him.
Deadpool finds Ajax headed at him on a motorcycle, and he throws his katana at the bike, causing Ajax to crash. Following the ensuing chaos, Deadpool manages to impale Ajax with the other blade to restrain him. Deadpool lifts his mask to show his scars so that Ajax can recognize him as Wade Wilson. Before Deadpool can do anything to Ajax, Colossus, having spotted Deadpool on the news, arrives with Negasonic Teenage Warhead and prevents Deadpool from proceeding.
Colossus is displeased with Deadpool causing so much mayhem and tries to get him to join the X-Men, to which Deadpool refuses. With his back turned, Ajax escapes. Enraged, Deadpool tries to hit Colossus, but he ends up breaking his hand. Deadpool then makes a few more futile attempts to injure Colossus, but to no avail, both of his hands and right foot are also broken. Colossus, having had enough of Deadpool's foolish and embarrassing attempts to injure him, sends Deadpool hurling into a car, then handcuffs the mercenary to his wrist, deciding to bring him to Professor X. Deadpool, with his limbs, completely healed, chooses to cut his own cuffed handoff, and hop into a dump truck on the freeway below, leaving his hand to give Colossus the finger.
Deadpool rides the garbage truck back to his and Blind Al's place. After returning to the residence, Wade's hand starts to grow back slowly, gets convinced by Al into revealing himself to Vanessa.
After being told by Weasel that Ajax and Angel are going after Vanessa, Wade and Weasel go to the strip club where she works. But Wade is still scared to face her and loses the courage to do so. Weasel then informs Wade that Vanessa went out back, and the latter heads there to look for her but only finds her handbag, letting him know that she's been taken.
- "I'm going to do this the old-fashioned way, with two swords and maximum effort. Cue the music."
Infuriated, and desperate to save his love, Wade arms himself with all the guns he owns that are in Blind Al's house. He then goes to the X-Mansion to get Colossus and Negasonic to help him get back Vanessa and stop Ajax. Deadpool calls out to Colossus and tells him that he has a deal he can't refuse. He then quips that the mansion is so big, yet it looks like the studio couldn't afford more than two X-Men. Wade, Colossus, and Negasonic take a cab driven by Dopinder to Ajax's location. Deadpool explains to Dopinder that Colossus agreed to help save Vanessa, and in return, Deadpool considers joining the X-Men. They hit a bump, and Deadpool hears a scream from the trunk. Dopinder admits he kidnapped his cousin. Deadpool pretends to be horrified but quietly congratulates Dopinder.
The three then track Ajax down to a decommissioned aircraft carrier in a scrapyard. Deadpool charges toward the goons while Colossus and Negasonic fight Angel, who punches Colossus away, and then Negasonic charges at Angel with high power, causing Deadpool to say, "I so pity the dude who pressures her into prom sex."
Wade rips through the goons and comes across an old friend, Bob, whom the mercenary hasn't seen since T.G.I. Friday's in Jacksonville. The two have a brief reunion, but Deadpool knocks his old friend out, while reminiscing about Bob's family, and pulls the soldier away to safety. Deadpool then uses the corpses of Ajax's goons to spell out Francis's name to mock him.
With Negasonic Teenage Warhead's help, Deadpool manages to get atop of the aircraft carrier where Ajax is keeping Vanessa. He puts her in the same chamber where he put Wade. Ajax then prepared to kill Vanessa with another oxygen deprivation chamber and duels with Deadpool using their own weapons. During the battle, Deadpool threw one of his swords into the oxygen deprivation chamber, successfully saving Vanessa from deoxygenation. Deadpool continues his brawl until Ajax throws a knife into the mercenary's head, temporarily disorienting him. Vanessa, having broken free from the oxygen deprivation chamber, impales Ajax with her Deadpool's sword. Ajax then prepares to kill Vanessa, with Deadpool removing the knife from his head.
Meanwhile, Angel almost strangles Colossus with a chain, but Negasonic creates a powerful blast that throws Angel off and destroys the carrier. It starts to collapse, sending numerous freight containers down. Colossus carries Negasonic and Angel to safety while Deadpool makes sure Vanessa safely lands. Deadpool gets Vanessa into the disconnected oxygen deprivation chamber, and she is thrown to safety. The carrier then wholly crashes down.
When Deadpool goes to reunite with Vanessa, Colossus, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Ajax attacks him and have another brawl, with Deadpool beating Ajax to the brink of death. The mercenary then demanded Ajax to cure him of his disfigurement. Still, Ajax laughs and mocks Deadpool by informing the mercenary that there hadn't been a cure for his disfigurement the entire time. Enraged after hearing how Ajax can't fix him after all that has happened, Deadpool pulls out a revolver and prepares to kill Francis. Before doing so, Deadpool asks if Francis has any last words, with The latter merely replying, "What's my name," and Deadpool says, "Who fucking cares?".
Ignoring Colossus' speech about heroism, who wants Wade to spare his enemy's life, Deadpool summarily executes Francis with the revolver, much to the mutant's disgust.
Reunion with Vanessa Carlyle
Following this, while conversing with Colossus, Deadpool sees Vanessa approaching him and wonders what to say to her, and Colossus says the mercenary better figure it out. As Deadpool turns to Vanessa, she angrily punches him multiple times for abandoning her and is about to hit her boyfriend in the groin, only for Wade to convince Vanessa not to do so. Vanessa then demands an explanation from Wade as to why he left her. He sincerely apologizes to her for everything: leaving, not going to her sooner, and not summing up the courage to face her. Wade explains that he was disfigured and was afraid Vanessa wouldn't accept him, as his face isn't the same one she remembered. She wasn't hesitant about what was under his mask, so she removed it, only to find that Wade has another mask under it, which she also removed. Deadpool reveals his disfigured form to Vanessa, but she didn't care what he looked like, for it was a face she was "willing to sit on," with Wade saying he obtained a "super penis" from being experimented.
Hearing this lewd comment, Colossus tells Deadpool once again to watch the language as young ones (referring to Negasonic Teenage Warhead) are watching. An annoyed Deadpool wonders what Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead are still doing in the scrapyard. Deadpool tells Colossus to be a big brother to someone. And compliments Negasonic Teenage Warhead by saying, "nothing compares to you." After acknowledging a reference from Deadpool, Negasonic said he was cool, leaving him baffled, as her comment wasn't mean. Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead left the area, with Colossus saying that they'll make an X-Men out of Deadpool, as the mercenary reunited with Vanessa. Vanessa and Wade then reconcile and share a kiss while Wade plays "Careless Whisper" by Wham!.
Contact with Cable
Later, Deadpool, after revealing to the audience that there was nothing big for the post-credits scene but reveals that Cable would appear for the sequel.
Wade was walking around when he came upon an older man being mugged in an alley. Deciding to intervene, Wade went into a phone booth to change into his Deadpool costume. However, this took longer than expected, and by the time Deadpool exited the booth, the older man had been shot dead. A disappointed Wade then sat down beside the older adult, took his yogurt, and began ranting about the presence of a phone booth, how long it takes to go into a superhero and to claim Wolverine probably would have been able to save him due to only wearing a tank top and jeans.
Deadpool continues his career as a contract killer, taking his business worldwide. On his anniversary with Vanessa, Wade is late due to trying (and failing, due to a panic room) kill a drug dealer. Vanessa forgives him after his terrible attempts at an excuse, and they exchange gifts. Wade gives her a skeeball token from their first date, while Vanessa gives him her birth control, which she has had removed as she wants them to have a child. After having sex and discussing baby names, Wade suddenly realizes that someone is outside. The drug dealer and his crew have found Deadpool. Wade manages to take out most of them, but the drug dealer manages to shoot Vanessa, who dies in Wade's arms. Wade catches up to the dealer, embraces him, then throws them both in front of a moving vehicle. Realizing that he is to blame for Vanessa's death, he pumps himself with a huge amount of cocaine, tries to kill himself by attempting to have polar bears devour him, drinking a bottle of bleach and walking on the edge of a building until he falls, before blowing up an apartment.
Wade has a near-death experience, meeting Vanessa, who tells him that his heart needs to be in the right place before they are reunited. Deadpool wakes in the X-Mansion, having been brought there by Colossus to recover. Colossus tries to convince Deadpool to join the X-Men, and something he says reminds Wade of his conversation with Vanessa. Wade joins the team as a trainee. On his first mission, Wade, Colossus, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead try to stop a young mutant called Russell who was causing havoc at the Essex House for Mutant Rehabilitation. Deadpool managed to talk Russell down but soon realized that the orphanage staff was abusing Russell. After killing a staff member, Wade and Russell were arrested and fitted with power-dampening collars.
Wade and Russell were sent to the Ice Box, and without his healing powers, Wade's cancers returned. Sure he was going to die in prison; Wade tried to convince Russell that his plans for prisons – including making a shiv and attacking the largest guy in prison – were wrong. The prison was then attacked by Cable, a time-traveling mutant who wanted to kill Russell because he killed Cable's family in the future. Wade tries to fight back but is outmatched due to his condition. Cable eventually throws him from a catwalk and knocks the power-dampening collar off, which allows Wade to get back into the fight, though Cable still had the upper hand. During the battle, Wade tries to use Cable's weapons, which ends up triggering a concussive blast that throws them out of prison.
Seeing Vanessa in another near-death experience, Wade becomes convinced that he needs to save Russell from Cable. Assembling a team he names X-Force, Wade attempts to rescue Russell from a prison convoy. During the mission, all the members of X-Force except for him and Domino die, and he fights Cable until Russell frees the Juggernaut. Juggernaut crashes the transport, tears Deadpool in half, and escapes with Russell.
Recovering at Blind Al's by regrowing his legs, Wade is visited by Cable, who wants to team up to stop Juggernaut and Russell. Russell is due to kill the Headmaster of the Essex House, an act that will put him on the path to become a prolific killer. Wade agrees on the condition that Cable gives him a chance to talk to Russell and get him to stop. Cable gives him thirty seconds. Wade tries to recruit Colossus, apologizing to him, but he seemingly rebuffs Wade's attempts.
Wade, Cable, and Domino head to the Essex House and engage Juggernaut in combat. Colossus, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and Yukio arrive to help, and Juggernaut is defeated. Catching up with Russell before he kills the headmaster, Wade puts on a power-dampening collar and offers himself as the sacrifice instead. Russell starts to falter, but Cable is not convinced and shoots at him. Wade takes the bullet to heart and dies a long and drawn-out death. Russell gives up on his vengeance at Wade's sacrifice, and Cable realizes that the bad future has been averted.
Wade is finally reunited with Vanessa, but it does not last for long. Cable time-travels to just before the battle at the Essex House and places Wade's skeeball token (which he stole off him in the Ice Box) in Wade's uniform. When it comes time to shoot Wade, the bullet hits the skeeball token, and he does not die. The sacrifice still gets Russell to stand down.
Later, Wade gets Negasonic and Yukio to fix Cable's time-travel device and then uses it to save Vanessa and Peter. He also "cleans up the timeline" by killing an earlier incarnation of himself, thus saving Wolverine's life, kills Ryan Reynolds before he takes the role of Green Lantern, and travels to 1889 to kill baby Hitler, but can't go through with it instead of choosing to come back with Cable who as Deadpool puts it, "...loves killing kids".
Kidnapping Fred Savage
Some time after Deadpool 2, Wade wrote the PG-13 adaptation of the film. He kidnapped Fred Savage to read his book, but Fred wasn't very friendly to him. After reading the book, Fred and Wade became friends. Later, Fred was revealed to be half naked.
The Westchester Incident
In 2028, Charles Xavier developed Alzheimer's and suffered a massive seizure that injured 600 people, and killed seven mutants, including several members of the X-Men. It is unknown if Wade was among those who were either killed or wounded.
- "Your heart needs to be in the right place. I'm not gonna abandon this kid. He's never had anyone, ever. I need to be selfless."
Wade possesses a highly sarcastic and great sense of humor that irritates and annoys most of his enemies. He regularly insults and belittles his enemies to his own godly. He feels no shame and can make a joke out of any situation, even after months of endless torture he was able to keep his sense of humor alive, despite it being shaken over some fear and shock over his subsequent transformation. Only a few select people can withstand his seemingly never-ending inability to stop talking.
He loves cartoons, potty humor, Skee-Ball, classical music, television shows, rap music, and American pop culture. His favorite band is Wham! and George Michael, specifically, particularly loving the song "Careless Whisper." He remains very movie-cultured, referencing The Matrix, RoboCop, Alien 3, Yentl, 127 Hours, Cocoon, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Star Wars. Wade himself is aware that he is a fictional character in a movie and belittles this by breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the audience.
Despite his initial immaturity, Wade is a genuine, soft, good-hearted man, and in time became a very moral and heroic person to the point of sacrificing himself to save Russell. Although he is a mercenary, he agreed to scare off a young girl's stalker without being paid for his troubles, revealing he can be affectionate. On matters of love, he can be surprisingly sensitive, having been forced to abandon his girlfriend, Vanessa due to his terminal cancer, he advised his taxi driver, Dopinder to fight for the object of his affections, Gita. While talking with Vanessa, he revealed that his father was less than a model and that Wade was seriously afraid of becoming like him. This worried him about having children with Vanessa; however, she reassured him that he would be a great father and nothing like his dad.
After Vanessa’s death, Wade developed a suicidal nature, yet his inability to die increased the decay of his already fractured psyche that enhanced the seriousness and tragedy of his character even though his wise-cracking quality is more predominant. He was content to die of cancer in the Icebox until he re-found a purpose by protecting Russell from Cable - believing this is where he needed to be and be reunited with Vanessa. After his near-death experience, this trait has died down, but he had not accepted her demise, so Wade irresponsibly uses Cable’s time travel device to save her.
His relationship with the X-Men is very mixed. Mostly Wade considers their do-gooding nature and abiding by rules extremely tiresome, yet he pondered joining them after Vanessa’s death until he grew sick of the restraints of the team. Ultimately, as annoying as he found Colossus’ morality and annoying to make him a better person, Wade considered him a friend. Wade also affected Colossus by encouraging him to behave more dubiously, such as during his fight with Juggernaut and even curse. Wade has a brother-like relationship with Negasonic Teenage Warhead because of his enjoyment to annoy her, though Negasonic considers him “cool” she also is exasperated by his personality. In contrast, Wade has shown fondness towards Negasonic’s girlfriend, Yukio, as she seems to be the only person he does not mock or intentionally annoys, which is mutual. The only X-Men member Wade actively respects seems to be Wolverine, which borders on sexual advances and even love though he was presumably joking.
Powers and Abilities
- "If you didn't have that mouth on you, Wade, you'd be the perfect soldier."
- ―William Stryker to Wade Wilson
- Superhuman Reflexes: Wade is very alert and fast-reacting, able to dodge and deflect bullets without much effort. He can react to multiple opponents simultaneously, even from behind to quickly counter.
- "All of their strengths and none of their weaknesses."
- ―William Stryker
- Optic Blast: Derived from Scott Summers' genes, Wade can fire powerful optic blasts. Shown able to produce intense concussive or heat beams, a single blast was able to decimate an entire factory tower. When using this ability Wade's eyes turn black around his skin.
- Phase-Jumping: Derived from John Wraith's powers, Wade can instantaneously teleport to anywhere he chooses, provided he has proper knowledge of where it is.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Originally derived from Wolverine gene's, Wade possesses superhuman healing capabilities, able to mend and regrow any part of his anatomy. While artificial, his healing is, in fact, superior to Wolverine's as he can survive decapitation.
- Retractable Blades: As Weapon XI, Wade was implanted with full-length straight ninjatō blades that can retract into his forearms similar to Wolverine's blades. They are also made of adamantium, allowing him to slice to virtually any target.
- Technopathy: Derived from Chris Bradley's ability to control and power electrical devices. While unknown, if Wade could manipulate technology himself, Stryker was able to use this power to send him commands, effectively controlling Weapon XI.
- Master Swordsman: Wade was extremely skilled in wielding his dual swords in battle.
- Bilingualism: Wade spoke English and Nigerian, serving as Team X's translator.
- Incomplete Surgery: Despite obtaining a multitude of mutant abilities from the Weapon XI procedure, it was noted that his operation was incomplete. The bonding process was incomplete because Stryker ordered the activation of Weapon XI before they managed to give more abilities to Weapon XI, as he needed to fight immediately. When the time-traveling Deadpool of the revised timeline was "cleaning up the timeline," he was able to kill this version of himself by shooting him through the head, after which he unloaded several more shots into his body.
- "You will recover, Wade. You always do."
- ―Colossus to Deadpool
Deadpool was injected with a serum that activated any mutant genes lurking around in his DNA, and was subjected to extreme stress for it to work. Adrenaline acted as a catalyst for the serum, so he had to suffer for his mutant genes to activate and manifest. He was painfully hurt until he mutated. His stress levels were raised high enough to trigger a mutation, and now his mutated cells can heal anything. Wade said he got the cure to everything and Francis said he apparently made him immortal.
- "Don't feel bad. Even I can't kill me."
- ―Deadpool to Cable
- Regenerative Healing Factor: After being injected with a serum to evolve further his mutant genes, which was fully triggered by extreme stress, his body was enhanced, granting him rapid cellular regeneration, enabling him to quickly heal from any injury, even able to regrow entire lost anatomy. Minor injuries, like bullet wounds and broken bones, take mere minutes to recover. While full dismemberment takes hours to restore, which goes through a period of accelerated maturing, starting as an infant-like limb before becoming fully grown. Even more, his healing powers leave him immune to any form of illness and contaminate, able to even cure himself of cancer that was previously ravaging his body. Getting stabbed in the head only momentarily left him dazed and hallucinating.
- "I probably made you Immortal."
- ―Ajax to Deadpool
- Immortality: Due to his regenerative capabilities, Wade is immune to physical age, death and diseases.
- Superhuman Strength: Wade's strength is well-above the parameters of the normal human. With his kicks, he can launch a full-grown man of considerable weight several meters away and likewise trade blows of against foes of considerable strength. His raw strength can also shove a man high into the air casually lift them high above his head. He was able to push one of his swords through solid concrete behind Ajax's shoulder.
- Superhuman Durability: Wade's durability and endurance have been enhanced to superhuman levels, able to trade blows with exceptional strong foes, even harming the inhumanly strong Angel Dust. He also was unfazed when he crashed through a car's glass roof from a highway several miles above it. This also grants him an enhanced tolerance to pain, making it hard to slow him down, to which even then he can quickly rebind, letting him continuously fight at full strength. For a more desperate situation, he is even willing to cut off his limb to escape.
- Superhuman Speed: Wade possesses speed superior to that of even the finest human athlete. He is capable of moving fast enough to easily outmaneuver rapid gunfire. Confined spaces could not limit his movement at all, allowing him to overpower and kill multiple attackers after landing in their car.
- Superhuman Agility: Wilson's flexibility, balance, dexterity, and coordination are well-beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete. He has inhuman leaping capabilities, able to could jump several feet from a stationary position, and with his body control, able to execute a variety of complex twists, turns, and flips while in mid-air.
- Superhuman Stamina: Wade's body produces from little to no fatigue. This allows him to exert himself at peak capacity for as long as he desires.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Wade is very alert and fast-reacting, able to dodge and deflect bullets without much effort. He can react to multiple opponents simultaneously, even from behind to quickly counter. During his duel with Francis, Wade easily caught an axe thrown at him at high speeds.
- "You know I can hear you."
"I'm not talking to you. I was talking to them."
- ―Colossus and Deadpool
- Medium Awareness: Wade seems to be afflicted by what is commonly known as the Truman syndrome, a type of delusion in which the person believes that their lives are staged and that they are constantly being watched on cameras. Wade believes that he is a fictional character in a movie, allowing him to break the fourth wall to address and share his thoughts with the audience watching his adventures.
- "I was a soldier. Special Forces."
- ―Deadpool to Cable
Wade spent a decade as a soldier in the Special Forces. According to Agent Smith, he was "a fighter" and an "extraordinary" soldier with 41 confirmed kills (one every seven weeks, more than five years).
- Master Marksman: Wilson is highly skilled with firearms and throwing weapons, able to hit precise targets without much time need to aim. He used one bullet to kill three men standing in a line. He even threw one of his katanas several feet into the wheels of a motorcycle while jumping through the air. Wade's accuracy was also displayed when he played skee-ball with Vanessa; he threw a ball directly into a hole, instead of rolling it. He has also shot Ajax and Daniel Frye in the head.
- Master Martial Artist: Wilson is also heavily skilled in melee and unarmed combat, able to overpower and kill several armed men after crashing into their car. He can take on very skilled opponents such as Ajax and Cable.
- Master Swordsman: Wilson's signature weapons are his dual katana blades, which, combined with his agility, speed, and natural combat abilities, make two of his most highly efficient weapons. His swords allow him to cut through several trained shooters with ease. He is also adept at throwing his swords; he threw one into the front wheel of Francis' motorcycle to make him crash, and he also threw one to knock down Firefist by hitting him in the head with the handle.
- Knife Mastery: Wilson is highly skilled with using knives in combat, whether it be up close or thrown. He was also shown to be able to throw a knife into a gunman's eye from several feet while running.
- Master Acrobat: His enhanced reflexes and agility make him highly evasive and mobile in battle. Able to scale seemingly any terrain with no wasted timing or movement, his prowess outmatches some of the most accomplished circus aerialists and acrobats. Using a variety of free-running and parkour maneuvers, he is challenging to anticipate with his erratic and spontaneous movement.
- "41 confirmed kills. Now it's 89. About to be 90."
- ―Deadpool to Agent Smith
- Master Assassin: Wilson, even before his mutation, is an infamous but extremely skilled mercenary. He has killed people in Baghdad, Mogadishu, and Jacksonville. Each contract he was given, he has successfully killed his targets. When he was in the Special Forces, he had 41 confirmed kills. Following his transformation and during his search for Francis until he reunited with the recruiter, he killed 48 more people.
- Expert Tracker: Despite his crude and reckless methods, Wilson is shown to be very efficient in information gathering. For two years, he was able to track down Ajax's location through a network of sources.
- Bilingualism: In sticking with his talkative nature, Wade is proven to be fluent in speaking a variety of languages, such as English and Spanish.
- Body Dismantling: Ajax does hint that cutting Wade into small enough pieces may kill him as his "parts" cannot regenerate without his brain or central nervous system intact. This is evident when he blows himself up in a suicide attempt, and he was unable to reassemble himself. But thanks to Colossus putting Wade's body parts back together, Wade was able to resuscitate himself.
- Cancer: Wade has terminal late-stage cancer in his liver, lungs, prostate, and brain. Since his cancer was never removed from his body and is only counteracted by his healing ability, he cannot have his powers neutralized for long before his cancer returns and eventually kills him. As such, having his powers neutralized is a fatal weakness, unlike most mutants.
- Mental Impairment: The extreme nature in which his second mutation occurred, Wade has developed noticeable damage to his mental stability. To which, he can be highly impulsive without restraint, easily distracted or forgetful, and very random in his mood.
- Gluten: Deadpool mentioned to Cable that he has a gluten sensitivity; one glass of wine is enough to cause him problems.
- "I'm gonna do this the old fashioned way. With two swords and maximum effort."
- Katanas: Deadpool carries two samurai katana swords, "Bea and Arthur," strapped to his back. He used them to impale one of Ajax's men and lift him overhead, then proceeded to throw one of them into the front wheel of Ajax's motorcycle to cause him to crash. He later used the swords to cut through more of Ajax's men before confronting his enemy in a duel against him, with the latter wielding two axes. During the fight, he threw his sword into Vanessa's locked container so she could breathe.
- SOG Desert Dagger: Deadpool carries a combat knife holstered in his left book, which can be used as a throwing weapon. He also used it to cut off his left hand to escape Colossus' handcuffs.
- Para-Ordnance P14.45 Limited - Wade used this pistol as a mercenary before becoming Deadpool. He used it to threaten Merchant and Jeremy in the former's apartment.
- IWI Desert Eagle Mark XIX: Deadpool dual-wields a pair of .50 AE pistols. He used them during his search for Francis, and later used 12 bullets to kill Francis' henchmen on the highway. He packed them in his gun bag for his showdown with Francis, but he left the bag in Dopinder's taxi.
- Glock 17: Deadpool disarmed a mercenary of his pistol in a car.
- Heckler & Koch Mark 23: Deadpool gathered a pistol in his gun bag.
- Beretta Px4 Storm: Deadpool made a DMC driver shoot himself with his own pistol.
- Smith & Wesson Model 29: Deadpool gathered a revolver in his gun bag.
- Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket: Deadpool was given Al's sidearm. He used it to shoot Francis in the head.
- Heckler & Koch UMP45: Deadpool gathered a submachine gun in his gun bag.
- IMI Mini Uzi: Deadpool gathered another submachine gun in his gun bag.
- IMI Galil SAR: Deadpool gathered a rifle in his gun bag.
- Norinco Type 84S-2: Deadpool gathered another rifle in his gun bag.
- Steyr AUG A1: Deadpool gathered another rifle in his gun bag.
- Remington 870: Deadpool was given a short-barreled shotgun for his gun bag.
- Mossberg 500: Deadpool used a shotgun to execute a pedophile.
- "That gun is amazing!"
- "Wait! You may be wondering, why the red suit? Well, that’s so bad guys can’t see me bleed. This guy’s got the right idea. He wore the brown pants."
- Costume: Deadpool wears a suit to disguise his disfigured form. He also made sure the suit was colored red due to his constant bleeding soaking and ruining his other clothes.
- Team X - Former Teammates
- Chamber - Enemy
- Cyclops † - Enemy
- Emma Silverfox - Enemy
- Kayla Silverfox † - Enemy
- Psylocke † - Enemy
- Sabretooth - Enemy, Former Teammate, and Former Killer
- Wolverine - Enemy, Former Teammate, and Attempted Victim
- Vanessa Carlysle - Fiancée
- Blind Al - Friend
- Bob - Friend and Former Enemy
- David Cunningham † - Former Cellmate and Friend
- Dopinder - Transporter, Friend, and Ally
- Firefist - Friend, Former Enemy, and Rescuee
- Weasel - Best Friend
- Fred Savage
- X-Men - Allies
- Ajax † - Archenemy, Torturer, and Victim
- Angel Dust - Enemy and Torturer
- Black Tom Cassidy † - Enemy and Boss
- Jared Smith † - Enemy and Victim
- Sergei Valishnikov † - Enemy and Victim
- Juggernaut - Enemy
- The Headmaster † - Enemy
- Both Deadpool and Wolverine were born in Canada.
- To add to that, Wade is very protective of his Canadian nationality and citizenship.
- In the comics, Wade Wilson is a human who was put under experiments by the Weapon X program scientist Dr. Killbrew and his assistant Francis Fanny/Ajax due to his cancer. While the tests proved successful and did give Wilson superhuman abilities, cancer has reached his brain, which deformed his skin, turned him insane, and forced him to wear a mask and a suit as a disguise. Wilson adopted the name Deadpool and has since his escape from the program became a comedic mercenary. A similar background is shown in the 2016 film. However, the 2009 version of the character is seen to be a mutant that has been genetically modified and enhanced with powers from several mutants to be used as a living weapon, which differs him from the comic book counterpart. In fact, Wade Wilson before his transformation shares much more in common with the comic book counterpart due to his mercenary status and comedic nature.
- While the 2016 incarnation of the character does retain many of the said features of the comic book character, it shall be noted that the 2009 interpretation of Deadpool does retain a key feature in the character's origin, as he is stated to have gained his healing factor and presumably the basis for his adamantium claws from Wolverine's DNA. In contrast, the 2016 version is simply said to have been forcibly mutated via a serum with no connection to Wolverine whatsoever.
- Concept arts indicate that the character was originally designed with a suit and mask, but was later reverted to lack those features. However the black tattoos Wilson receives when he becomes Weapon XI in several cases outline the areas where patches of his comic book suit are black, as well as scar tissue and occasional black coloring around his eyes and the lack of a mouth, which are all details designed to evoke his comic book mask.
- Weapon XI is mocked in the 2011 video game Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. If the player plays as Deadpool and beats Wolverine, he says, "And that's how you beat Wolverine, people... AND YOU DON'T EVEN NEED OPTIC BLASTS! MUAHAHAHAHA!" This is a reference to the fact Deadpool can fire Cyclops' optic blasts from his eyes in the film.
- The 2016 film disregards the Weapon XI of the character, as in X-Men: Days of Future Past the formation of Team X has been avoided from history due to Wolverine's time travel. However, the relation between the Wade Wilson seen in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the one seen in Deadpool is unclear, as the Origins Wilson is seen in his 30's by the 1970s whereas in Deadpool he appears to be of a similar age but decades later.
- In the credits, Weapon XI is credited solely for as Scott Adkins, but Reynolds also played the character - he mentioned in an interview of how he managed to speak and drink when his mouth was "gone."
- In X-Men: The Official Game, his name appears above a cell door in one of Wolverine's levels, though he doesn't make an appearance.
- In Cable & Deadpool #2, page 13, when asked by Cable why a virus that can alter the way people look, Deadpool answered: "Hey, if you looked like Ryan Reynolds crossed with a Shar-Pei, you'd understand." By some twist of fate, Wade was played by Ryan Reynolds in the film.
- Wade Wilson/Weapon XI appears in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine (video game) voiced by Steven Blum (who also voices Wolverine on X-Men Legends games and Wolverine and the X-Men).
- In some theaters' Easter egg endings, Weapon XI's hand is seen reaching for his severed head. He opens his eyes and breaks the fourth wall (much like most other versions of him do) as by making a noise (a shushing noise to be exact, indicating that his survival is to remain a secret for now). The regaining of his older consciousness, as well as his ability to speak, is probably because of the damage he sustained in the fall.
- According to Bryan Singer, the mutants Rachel Summers, Psylocke, Deadpool, Nightcrawler, Gambit, and Jubilee were meant to appear in X-Men: Days of Future Past, but were cut out for running time purposes.
- In the original timeline, Wilson as Weapon XI possesses copied abilities similar to Rl'nnd, a super Skrull from the comics who use and copies mutant abilities.
- Both possess retractable blades and healing factor from Wolverine.
- Both of their blades are coated in metal, Weapon XI is laced with adamantium while Rl'nnd uses Colossus' abilities to turn his flesh and blades metal.
- Both possess teleportation. Weapon XI from Kestrel (John Wraith), Rl'nnd from Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner)
- Both possess Cyclops' optic blast.
- In Deadpool 2, Wade stands on a building in Japan with the kanji "死侍" (Deadpool).
Behind the Scenes
- Simon Burnett, Jeffrey C. Robinson, Justin Eaton, Will Erichson, Alex Kyshkovych, Leif Havdale, Tom McComas and Jackson Spidell were stunt doubles for Ryan Reynolds in the role of Deadpool.
- Xander Martel was a stand-in for Ryan Reynolds in the role of Deadpool.