The Statue of Liberty is a monument located off the coast of New York City.
Prior to X-Men
A young Erik Lehnsherr first saw the Statue of Liberty in 1949 after emigrating to America following his liberation from a Nazi concentration camp in Poland, and was under the belief that he would be safe from the persecution he faced in the past.
Magneto constructed a device at the top of the Statue of Liberty, designed to turn all of the world leaders convening on Ellis Island into mutants. When Magneto brought Rogue there, to use her powers as the basis for the device, he commented that he first saw her in 1949, and that it heralded America as the land of tolerance and peace.
The X-Men arrived at the Statue of Liberty to engage the Brotherhood and rescue Rogue, but were captured by Magneto and restrained in Lady Liberty's head. Logan broke out from his bonds and fought Sabretooth, who was dispatched by Cyclops' laser blasts, knocking him out of the Statue and into a moored boat nearby. Magneto transferred his powers to Rogue, to use her as the nexus of the device to turn the world leaders into mutants.
Logan was lifted up to the device by Storm's weather controlling powers and Jean's telekinesis, wherein Cyclops used one of his optic blasts to knock Magneto out of the way, and Logan destroyed the machine. He then transferred his healing powers to Rogue, which caused her to heal.
- For the filming of X-Men, a replica of the Statue of Liberty's head was built. The replica was one and a half times larger than the real deal.
- Mystique posed as a slightly larger than human scale copy of the statue in the entryway so as to ambush the X-Men when they arrive.
- During the Liberty Island Incident, the Statue of Liberty is damaged several times:
- Magneto rips a hole in the top of the statue's head.
- Magneto then bends the statue's framework to trap Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops and Jean.
- When Wolverine fights Sabretooth atop the statue's head, Wolverine's claws gauge deep marks in the statue's copper skin. Also when Wolverine fights Sabretooth, he slices off one of the spike's on the statue's crown.
- When Cyclops hits Sabretooth with an optic blast, he creates a hole in the statue's face.
- When Magneto activates his Mutant Conversion Device, it rips up the torch flame.