Toad (born Mortimer Toynbee) was a mutant who had the ability to leap far distances, spit slime, and had a strong and flexible, 13-foot long tongue.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers & Abilities
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Trivia
- 6 External links
Toad is first introduced as part of an American military unit along with Ink, Havok, and Daniels in Saigon, Vietnam. When Mystique fights the guards to save the mutants, Toad uses his long tongue to retrieve a gun from one of the guards. He leaves Vietnam along with the others.
He is first seen working on Magneto's machine, when Sabretooth returns after failing to retrieve Rogue . He and Mystique were then sent by Magneto to kidnap Senator Kelly. He is then present when Magneto tests his machine on Senator Kelly. Later, After Mystique (disguised as Bobby) tricks Rogue into leaving Professor X 's school, Magneto, Sabretooth and Toad head to the train station. While Magneto captures Rogue and knocks Wolverine out, Toad and Sabretooth take down Storm and Cyclops. Before they can get away, police are outside waiting for them but Magneto uses their guns against them. Professor X tries to mind control Sabretooth and Toad into making Magneto let go but Magneto threatens to kill the police officers which makes Professor X let go of Sabretooth and Magneto. Mystique arrives in a helicopter to pick them up and escape.
The Brotherhood arrives at the Statue of Liberty to use the machine on the humans before they find that the X-Men have arrived. Magneto tells Toad and Mystique to act as the first line of defense. Toad then battles Storm, Cyclops, and Jean Grey all at once, he starts by locking Cyclops in a display case, sends Storm to the second floor and spits acidic slime on Jean Grey as she stops him in mid-air. Storm revives to stop Toad from harming Jean but is quickly subdued and is knocked down an elevator shaft. Storm flies up again and blows Toad out of the statue, his tongue latching onto a support beam to stay alive. However, Storm strikes his tongue with a lightning bolt, causing him to fall into the Hudson River. It's unclear if he survived the fall or not.
After being freed by Mystique and leaving Vietnam with the others, Toad later took a job as a cook and witnessed Magneto's attempt to kill the president on live television, nodding his head in acknowledgment at Magneto's speech.
Toad is portrayed as an arrogant, brash and cocky character. He appears to enjoy mocking Sabretooth and does not seem to worry if Sabretooth will retaliate, in addition he is may be a fearless thrill seeker. Not only mocking Sabretooth whom, most characters are terrified of. He appears to enjoy attacking three powerful X-men at once, kills multiple security guards around the Statue of Liberty, smiling whilst doing so and does not hesitate at stealing Cyclops' visor despite the obvious risk of getting shot at.
He has a habit of acting immaturely, dancing about as Jean tries to anticipate his next move and blowing a raspberry at Storm after drop kicking her down an elevator shaft. He can be considered to be quite impatient as he is visibly annoyed by the fact he could not kill the X-Men despite initially having an advantage. He enjoy killing as he devours a bird whole, sighs with delight whilst killing the security guards and does not hesitate to suffocate Jean when she uses her telekinesis to hold him in place.
Powers & Abilities
- Flexible Bone Structure - Toad's bone structure allows him to perform contortionist and gymnastic maneuvers without risk of spinal injury. He is usually seen sitting hunched, but this has no effect on his posture.
- Prehensile Tongue - Toad had an elastic tongue that can stretch up to at least 13 feet. Akin to a whip, he can easily snatch targets, as he did to ensnare a small bird and draw it back in
- Slime Spit - Toad once spat slime onto Jean Grey's face, making her unable to breathe.
- Superhuman Agility - He is more agile than what is naturally possible for a human, able to jump great distances from a stationary position. He could use this to traverse areas or climb about. He also uses his leg strength to crush anyone he lands on.
- Superhuman Reflexes - Toad can react faster than a normal human he able to attack three X-Men using his quick reflexes and dodge Cyclops optic blast just after stealing his visor.
- Toxic Secretion - Toad is able to kill a white dove instantly with his acidic saliva. He then proceeds to consume it whole. Possibly his saliva digests the dove without needing to chew it. His acid can cause paralysis as well.
- Wall Crawling - Toad proved he can walk on walls due to a substance that is secreted from his skin.
- Leaping Ability: - Toad possesses incredible strong legs which allow him to jump incredible strong heights.
- Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant - Toad was able to single handedly take out the trained Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey.
- Mechanic - Toad is seen working on Magneto's machine. He designs the mutation device in the first film.
- Eyesight - Toad is photosensitive and requires protective goggles. He also suffers from myopia (short-nearsightedness).
- Lightning - Toad died from the lightning created by Storm.
- Brotherhood of Mutants - Former Teammates
- Daniels - Former Army Teammate
- Havok - Former Army Teammate
- Ink - Former Army Teammate
- Senator Kelly † - Kidnap Victim and Enemy
- William Stryker † - Enemy
- X-Men - Enemies
- Magneto - Ally
- Mystique - Savior
- Daniels - Former Army Teammate
- Havok † - Former Army Teammate
- Ink - Former Army Teammate
- William Stryker - Enemy
- In Marvel Comics, Toad's full name is Mortimer Toynbee. His last name can be seen on his military uniform in X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Toad was supposed to appear in X2: X-Men United fighting Nightcrawler, but was cut out because of scheduling problems with Ray Park.
- When Toad, Sabretooth and Magneto leave the train station, on his head is Cyclops' Visor. He used his tongue to steal it causing Cyclops to blow up part of the roof.
- In X-Men: The Last Stand, Anole, possessing a very similar appearance to Toad, is seen crawling on the walls of the building the mutant meeting regarding the cure is located in, that Magneto later interrupts.
- Toad's first scene in Vietnam is part of his history in both timelines due to Mystique's history remaining the same up until the intervention at the Paris Peace Accords.
- Despite being British in both the comics and original film. Toad is portrayed as an American in the Vietnam War during Days of Future Past.
- Toad complains upon failing to kill Storm, “Don’t you people ever die?” This is an allusion to the X-Men comics recurring the gimmick of having a character die and then be brought back to life by supernatural or scientific means, which has been done for nearly every main character in the series.
|Brotherhood of Mutants|