The X-Mansion, also known as Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters and the Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters, is a private academy for young mutants where they are able to receive an education without persecution from the outside world.
Located at 1407 Graymalkin Lane, Salem Center, the school was previously a mansion that was home to the Xavier family. Following the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, Charles Xavier converted the mansion into a boarding school. The lower levels also serve as the base of operations and training site of the X-Men.
- 1 History
- 1.1 X-Men: First Class
- 1.2 X-Men: Days of Future Past
- 1.3 Original Timeline
- 1.4 Revised Timeline
- 2 Faculty/Staff
- 3 Students
- 4 Former Students/Alumni
- 5 Trivia
- 6 External links
Charles Xavier's stepfather constructed the X-Mansion with a view to taking the threat of nuclear war very seriously, having constructed a bunker under the mansion that could protect its occupants from a nuclear barrage.
In 1944, a young Charles Xavier discovers Raven Darkholme in the mansion looking for food, disguised as Charles' mother. He sees through her disguise and is ecstatic in meeting another mutant. Charles then invites Raven to live with him at the mansion.
Later, in the 1960s, Xavier trained the members of Division X at the mansion alongside Erik Lehnsherr.
Following the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis that led to the dissolution of the team, Xavier decided to turn his mansion into a school and safe haven for mutants.
In 1965, Professor X officially opened the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters with Hank assisting in building the school as well as the labs. During that year, however, America assumed a direct military role in the Vietnam War. As the war escalated throughout the mid-late 1960s, many students and staff at the school were drafted into the military, and ultimately, the school was unable to function.
By the early 1970s, Xavier's school was defunct, and he reverted his mansion to a private residence once again. His estate had also fallen into considerable neglect and disrepair as a consequence. Living with Hank, Xavier would fall into a period of grief and mourning while using a serum developed by his friend to allow him to regain his ability to walk.
Through unknown means, Xavier eventually recovered from this phase and the school was reestablished by, at least, 1979. During the Three Mile Island Incident, Wolverine helped free mutants that William Stryker held prisoner including Emma and a young Cyclops. Xavier then telepathically led the escapees to his helicopter offering them a safe haven at the X-Mansion.
X-Men: The Last Stand Prologue
In 1986, Charles Xavier, accompanied by Erik Lehnsherr, visited a young Jean Grey at her home to discuss with her and her parents about her attending Xavier's School.
After Rogue and Wolverine were rescued by Storm and Cyclops following their encounter with Sabretooth, they were brought to the X-Mansion where they met Charles Xavier, who enrolled Rogue as a student and assisted Wolverine with finding more about his past.
Later, Colonel William Stryker staged a coordinated military offensive on the X-Mansion after receiving a decree from the President, in which he gained crucial data on Charles Xavier's Cerebro to make his own version of the device. In the process, Stryker also captured several of the students at the X-Mansion, including Siryn, Jubilee, Jones, Artie Maddicks, and used them to test the "Dark Cerebro". The students were later rescued by the X-Men.
After Storm and Wolverine went back to Alkali Lake to find a missing Cyclops, they were astonished to discover that Jean Grey was still alive and brought her back to the X-Mansion. However, the mutant, now unstable, soon fled from the mansion.
Following Xavier's death, the staff and students of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters held a funeral for their founder on the school grounds.
After a battle at Alcatraz Island that led to the defeat of the Brotherhood of Mutants, the mansion was reestablished as a school, with Storm now running it.
In 2010, Trask Industries took over and appropriated the X-Mansion into a research facility.
During Xavier's period of grief and mourning, Wolverine, having time-traveled from an apocalyptic future where the Sentinels had enslaved mutants and humans, arrived at the mansion to enlist the former professor's help in preventing this event from happening.
In the 1980's Professor Xavier and Hank, reopened the school taking in students such as Jean Grey, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Jubilee. The school was attacked by Apocalypse and the Four Horsemen and Charles Xavier is kidnapped. The school is accidentally blown up by Havok and Quicksilver rushes in need uses his super speed to get all the students and teachers out safely. After the X-Men battle Apocalypse, Magneto and Jean Grey use their powers to rebuild the school to its former glory.
In the aftermath of the Dark Phoenix incident, Xavier's school is renamed the "Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters", and Hank McCoy becomes the new headmaster with Xavier having retired. While settling himself in Paris, Xavier is reunited with Erik and agrees to play a game of chess with him. As they start playing, a flaming phoenix appears in the sky.
Sometime later, Xavier comes out of retirement and the School returns to it's original title "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters".
Later, Deadpool went to the mansion to enlist Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead's help in rescuing Vanessa Carlysle and defeating his enemy Ajax. The mercenary then noted that the mansion looked relatively empty before deciding that it was because the studio couldn't afford any more X-Men members.
Colossus arrives at the now-destroyed apartment and brings a dismembered Wade back to the Xavier Mansion in an attempt to recruit Deadpool into the X-Men and help him get through his grief. Recovering at the X-Mansion after the tragic death of his fiancée Vanessa, Wade Wilson reluctantly agrees to join the X-Men because he believes Vanessa would have wanted him to.
Following the alteration of the Timeline, Logan woke up and found the mansion up and running again as a school. With the world now in favor of mutants following Mystique's heroism, Jean, Scott, and Hank's deaths were among the many fatalities that had been prevented.
In 2028 the X-Men were disbanded and mutants nearly extinct after Xavier suffered a seizure which wiped them out. With his mind being seen as a weapon of mass destruction by the government Logan and him flee to the Mexican Border to hide away. What became of his mansion after this is unknown.
- Professor X - Physics and Ethics
- Storm - Agriculture and English
- Cyclops - Tactics and Auto Mechanics
- Jean Grey - Politics and School Doctor
- Wolverine - History and Combat
- Beast - Science and Math
- Colossus - Art and Physical Education
- Shadowcat - Geography and Architecture
- Rogue - Drama
- Iceman - Electronics
- Mystique † - Combat (revised timeline)
- Nightcrawler - Philosophy
- Jubilee - Staff/Trainee (revised timeline)
- Quicksilver - Music
- Siryn - Original Timeline
- Artie Maddicks - Original Timeline
- Jones - Original Timeline
- Flea - Original Timeline
- Cypher - Original Timeline
- Sage - Original Timeline
- Leech - Original Timeline
- Hellion - Original Timeline
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead - Revised Timeline
- Mirage - Original Timeline
- Yukio - Revised Timeline
- Dazzler - Revised Timeline
- Match - Revised Timeline
- Blink - Revised Timeline
- Mutant Scavenger - Original/Revised Timeline
- Banshee † - Original Timeline
- Jason Stryker † - Original Timeline
- Pyro † - Original Timeline
- Angel † - Original Timeline
- Jubilee - Original/Revised Timeline
- Iceman - Original Timeline
- Rogue - Original Timeline
- Jean Grey - Original/Revised Timeline
- Cyclops - Original/Revised Timeline
- Nightcrawler - Revised Timeline
- Storm - Original/Revised Timeline
- Colossus - Original/Revised Timeline
- Shadowcat - Original Timeline
- Quicksilver - Revised Timeline
- Havok † - Original Timeline
- The card Quicksilver had in X-Men: Apocalypse reveals the phone number of the X-Mansion to be (914)-555-1407.
- The hangar for the X-Jet is located underneath the school's basketball court.
- Through the course of the series, scenes at the X-Mansion have been filmed at several different houses.
- In X-Men, the Parkwood Estate in Oshawa, Ontario and the Casa Loma in Toronto, Ontario were used as the X- Mansion.
- In X2: X-Men United, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse, the Hatley Estate in British Columbia was used as the X-Mansion.
- The X-Mansion has not appeared in any of the Wolverine solo films.
- In "The Rogue Cut" of X-Men: Days of Future Past, human scientists took over the mansion and held Rogue captive within the Cerebro chamber. Iceman and Magneto would later infiltrate the stronghold and rescue her. However, on the way out, Iceman, in order to get Rogue to safety, sacrificed himself by getting incinerated by a Sentinel.
- In Dark Phoenix, which is set in 1992, the school is renamed to the "Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters". However, by the time of Deadpool, the school has gone back to "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters".